Daulatabad Fort is about 16 km northwest of the city of Aurangabad, Maharashtra state in India. This fort is also known as Devgiri. This place was originally called Devgiri when it was an important mountain town on the caravan route, but in the centuries they were reduced to a village. From 1327 onwards it became known as the capital of the Tughlal dynasty during the time of Muhammad bin Tughluq (r. 1325-1351) and changed its name and the whole population of Delhi was forced to leave for two years due to lack of water. Tughlaq is constantly known for moving the capital from Delhi to Daulatabad and Daulatabad to Delhi.
The historic triangular fort of Daulatabad was built in 1187 by the first Yadav king Bhillama V. It is believed that Devagiri was built by the Dhangar or herdsman in 1203 AD, who by his fortune acquired vast wealth. He had a brother who was a shepherd named ‘Raja Ram’ and in connection with him, he assumed the title of King. Lord Shiva is lives to have stayed on a hill all around this region. Hence this fort was originally known as Devagiri.
Height: 600 feet
Visiting Time: 8:00 AM- 6:00 PM
Time Duration: 2 to 3 Hours
Entry Fees: Rs. 10 per person for indian nationals
Rs. 100 per person for foreign nationals