Sajjangad Fort is an ancient hill fort at 16 km from Satara, 67 km from Mahabaleshwar and 64 km from Panchgani and is a pilgrimage area near Satara in Maharashtra. It is the last resting place of 17th century Sant Ramdas (born 1608). Many people in Maharashtra still read and follow the teaching and works written in books like Dasbodh. This fort was known in ancient times as Asvalayana Rishi for many years. Then the bear or number of a bear wandering there is called the Aswalya gad. This fort was built between 1347- 1527 by the Bahamian emperors. The Sajjangad fort was then subjected to the Adilshah dynasty (1527- 1686). The Mughal king defeated Adilshah and this fort came under the Mughal rule. The Sajjangad fort was captured by King Shivaji on 2 April 1663. And formerly known as Parali, it was renamed Sajjangad.
On 21 April 1700, the troops of Fateullahakhan designed the fort and finally captured it on June 6, 1700. When they became part of the Mughal Empire, they were renamed as “Navrastara”. The Marathas won this fort again. And the fort was occupied by the British in 1818. On the fort are the temples of Lord Ram, Hanuman and Anglai Devi and a Math and the tomb of Swami Samarth Ramdas. The daily activities of the trustees of the fort include morning prayer, anointing, and worship, Mahanideya, hymns, and reading of the handwritten Dasabodh in Saint Ramdas. The fort is open for devotees from 5:00 to 9:00 pm. All days are restricted to going in and out of beyond these hours. In the afternoon, the trustees of Sajjangad offer free offerings to the devotees. Recently, “Shri Ramdas Swami Sansthan” trust has established Bhaktnivas for free devotees. Thousands of devotees come to visit every year at Shiv Jayanti.
Height: 3,350 feet
Visiting Time: 5:00 AM- 9:00 PM
Time Duration: 3 to 4 Hours
Entry Fees: INR 10- INR 80