Sindhudurg Fort is a historic fort located on the shores of the Arabian sea off the fort of Maharashtra in western India. The fort is located 450 km south of Mumbai, on the banks of Malvan city in Sindhudurg district in the Konkan area of Maharashtra. Built on a small island, it was a fortress called Khurte Island. The Sindhudurg fort was built by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj of the Maratha Empire, and he bought 200 Vaddera men to build the fort. More than 4,000 pounds (1.81 tons) of lead were used in the casting, and the foundation was strengthened, & construction began on November 25, 1664.
Built over three years (1664-1667), the Sindhudurg fort is spread over 48 acres, a shoreline two-miles (3 km) long and 30 feet (9.14 m) high and 12 feet (3.66 m) thick. Large walls have been erected to block the waves of the Arabian Sea, and its enemies. The main entrance is hidden in such a way that no one can sign it outside. While restricted by the Scriptures to travel by sea, this construction on the island represents the revolutionary mindset of their engineers. The remains of an iron mold are visible. The main objective was to prevent the rising influence of foreigners (English, French, Dutch, and Portuguese merchants) and the emergence of the provenance of Siddis of Janjira.
Height: 30 feet
Visiting Time: 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Time Duration: 1 to 2 Hours
Entry Fees: No entry fees